Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One thing leads to another


Now this is an interesting case. I have had experience with the "gay roommate" thing and so has Mr. Upton, so this one hits kind of close to home. Neither of us had webcams at the time, though.

My concern here is that authorities want to hold Mr. Ravi responsible for the suicide of his roommate. Sure, it was wrong of him to take video of his roommate, but at the same time it was his dorm room, too. Also, they are trying to portray the "victim" (aren't you your own victim when you kill yourself?) as being extremely shy, yet dude was combing the Internet looking for hook-ups and inviting strangers back to his dorm room. That doesn't sound very shy to me.

This whole ordeal is why I don't like the idea of a "hate crime" and what it implies. Yes, Navi is a crappy person, but at the same time I understand him not liking his roommate taking over the room for a rendezvous with a stranger. I had a straight friend in my dorm whose straight roommate did the same thing. He'd wake up at 2am to hear his roommate and some random girl going at it. To me, that is very disrespectful.

It is unfortunate what happened to Mr. Clementi and I feel sorry for the loss experienced by his family. However, I can't help but think that this young man had other mental issues if he was so quick to go throw himself off a bridge. That implies bigger problems, and I don't see how Navi can be held responsible for the independent actions of another person. Furthermore, it has already been determined that the Westboro Baptist "God Hates Fags" hate group are protected by free speech, and if they can protest friggin' military funerals then I think Navi has the right to know what's going on in his own damn room filled with his belongings. A room in a dorm is not free, either.

What I take away from all this is that if you want privacy then go somewhere private. Don't expect privacy in a room you share with someone you just met, especially if you are hooking up with someone else you just met. Like the saying goes - GET A ROOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment